Monday, May 16, 2011

The Beat Goes On

Words can't describe the amount of crazy experiences I've had in the past year; ok words would actually do a pretty good job at describing those but carpal tunnel would certainly set in before I finished typing that much and that isn't a risk I'm willing to take!  I have stood atop one of the most amazing mountain ranges in the world and promptly pointed my skis down their side, met some of the finest people a man could ask to call friends, and yes, I have walked to the store to buy ice cream in subzero temperatures.  I have listened to terrible music while writing a blog -NEXT for the love of God!  And I couldn't be more excited about life.

Last May I left my home, my family and friends, school, and the city I grew up in.  Everything familiar to me I swapped for the unknown.  The camper shell on the back of my Ford Ranger became my home: a slab of plywood and a second hand mattress for my bed, a few Rubbermaid bins for my dresser drawers and kitchen pantry.  There was never anything to prove, not to myself or anyone aside.  I imagined how I would live and it worked flawlessly. Life rarely works out that well and I suppose I should count myself lucky. I'll consider that fact later down the road when inevitably it doesn't.  So much has already been seen and done, only a fraction of which I've recounted here. Buy me a beer some time and I'll tell you about the rest ;)

I have returned to Chattanooga but it seems that familiar time and place in my life is gone.  Uncertainty greets me every morning and though it's a hell of a thing to plan your day around I wouldn't want it any other way.  A fictional character in a damn good movie put it this way, "It's a funny thing about coming home, looks the same, smells the same, feels the same; you realize what's changed, is you." -Benjamin Button.  And indeed I have, however subtle those changes may be, and with an endless source of new ideas this blog will be changing too.  Rather than focus only on things I do, I would like to introduce others (you) to the things I think as well.  It is my hope that the essays to come will spark healthy discussion from multiple points of view.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment