Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mighty Mouse

With anything you absolutely love in life, it's easy to get caught up in it and take it way too seriously, yet on occasion there are events that remind us to lighten up.  Today held such an occasion for me as I struggled my way up a climb to the "baffling crux," as the guide book called it.  I'd just made my way up 75% of the route to a good rest, the long expected crux just ahead.  Out of breath and fighting off the flash pump that had accumulated in my fore arms, I noticed a foul odor in the air.  I also noticed the jug hold I was hanging from was but the edge of a deep in cut feature in the rock, the apparent home of an, as of yet, unidentified rodent.  Now, I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not an expert on the habitats of North American rodents; I guessed this to be such a home simply from the large amount of urine and pellet sized fecal matter scattered about.  Reflecting on the emphasis I'd put on on sighting routes, and seeing that a four legged mammal a fraction of my size with no opposable  thumbs had pissed on my climb, I had to laugh.  I finished my climb, lowered to the ground, walked over to the edge of the cliff and pissed on it (into the wind) thus proving my superiority over rodent kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment