Friday, August 6, 2010

"Don't Try Slab, That's Stupid"

We hit the Millitary Wall and Left Flank today (those are the names of cliff lines) and all stepped up our game a notch.  After warming up on some FUN routes I went and chilled in my hammok for a while trying to get my head game together for Tissue Tiger 5.12b, the hardest thing I've ever attempted. making it up four out of five bolts I was shut down at the crux of the route.  This wasn't unexpected and I counted it as a success for having made it as far as I did.  The others picked out some stout lines as well including Hairy Undercling, Aquaduck, and Henry, all 5.11b.  I lead all of these climbs myself but Henry, being a slab was a new experience for me.  The face was almost entirely blank and produced some of the most desperate moves I've ever made!  Holding on to edges only a quarter inch wide while 6' above your last bolt is one of the craziest feelings I've ever had.  We are all pushing our limits on this trip to the Red River Gorge and I can only hope by the end of the week I will be as strong as I was in May. One way or the other, this is only the training ground for what waits for us in Wyoming and Colorado and I am anxiouse to get back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment